Mercury Cup mixed knock-out competition
Carisbrooke have lost in the quarter-finals of this knock-out mixed cup competition for the past two seasons but this is a competition where Carisbrooke have a rich history.
We won the tile four times in the 1920s, the decade of the cup’s inception (sponsored by local newspaper the Leicester Mercury), and have gone on to tally an impressive 35 wins since.
In more recent times, we won the title in 2015 in a tightly-fought contest against Hamilton, a year after losing to Roundhill for the crown in our bid to three-peat in an equally close final-set encounter. We made the final in four consecutive years between 2012-2015, winning the title in 2012 (our first win for 16 years), 2013 and 2015.
The 2018 Mercury Cup
We are seeded No 4 for this year’s competition.
- Preliminary round (April 28th): Bye
- 1st round: Saturday, May 12th: Won against Leicester Forest East. Reached the required five rubbers at the start of the third round of matches. (Team: Franky G/Mark Jeffreys; Liz Mansell/Alex Blackwell;Steffan Grubs/Anna G).
- Quarter-final: To be played on the Saturday, May 26th.
- Semi-final: To be played on Saturday, June 9th.
- Final: To be played on Saturday, June 23rd.