It was the first time in several years that our men’s Aegon 1st team had competed in the national stages of the Aegon competition, following their promotion last year.Although the season ended on Sunday (June 19) with a 2-10 loss at Burton Waters TC in Lincolnshire (David Lloyd Lincoln) it has been a largely successful season with plenty of highs along the way.
We finished sixth in the table, just one above the relegation spots, but it represented a comfortable mid-table finish in reality with the teams above us in fourth and fifth having the same number of points as Carisbrooke.
It means we will get another run in the same high-class league for 2017.
We also made the most of our three home fixtures which were well-supported with fans, beer and barbecues! Many thanks to all who turned out to cheer on The Brooke.
We won 26 rubbers and 31 sets along the way in the face of some fierce opposition – a creditable result I’m sure you’ll all agree! Congratulations to all the players who represented Carisbrooke; you did the club proud.
The results were as follows (home marked in silver/bold):
- Sunday, April 3, 2016, midday: HOME vs Edgbaston Priory TC of Birmingham L 2-10 See the match scorecard here.
- Sunday, April 17, midday: at Lady Bay TC of West Bridgford, Nottingham L 0-12 See the match scorecard here.
- Sunday, April 24, midday: at The Leicestershire W 8-4 See the match scorecard here.
- Sunday, May 8, midday: HOME vs Sutton Coldfield TC of north Birmingham W 10-2 See the match scorecard here.
- Sunday, May 22, midday: at Beechwood TC of Coventry W 8-4 See the match scorecard here.
- Sunday, June 5, midday: HOME vs Mackintosh Sports Club of Cardiff L 4-8 See the match scorecard here.
- Sunday, June 19, midday: at Burton Waters TC (David Lloyd, Lincoln) L 2-10 See the match scorecard here.